Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Scoop.it!


I chose Scoop.it! as my technology tool, because I had never heard of it. I wanted to learn about something new and useful. Everything about Scoop.it! is new to me, so every part of it interests me. I've learned that Scoop.it is a free curation tool. I didn't quite understand what that meant, however, I have since learned that digital curation is selecting, collecting, and archiving digital selections. In other words, you can use it to bookmark topics online.

Some of the amazing things about this bookmarking/curation tool, is that it displays my topic selections in a visual page, integrates with social networking sites, and archives information in one easy to use location. I can share my selections at the same time I publish the Scoop.it! It reminds me of a blog, however, the posting is kind of like Facebook. I can add my own insight just like a post.

So far the tool has been user friendly. I can even install a bookmarklet on my tool bar so I can collect information on my own. I can also add keywords to my Scoop.it! topic and it will give me suggested resources.

In order to get started you sign up for an account at http://www.scoop.it/ . You will be asked to create a topic. This is the title of your page and the basis of your search. As you find information on the web related to your topic you Scoop.it!, then you can share it and store it. This reminds me of a virtual bulletin board.

I am excited to learn more about this tool. I want to learn more about how it can be useful in the classroom. So far, I think it would be useful to store pages or resources while writing a term paper. All the digital references can be stored in one location.  Once you have a topic in mind the collection part is fun. Finding a topic and key words is only the beginning of this digital journey...

As I sat on my back porch enjoying the sunshine, I couldn't think of a topic to start my Scoop.it!. I closed my eyes, took several deep breathes to clear my mind. I opened my eyes as I heard loud fluttering. Inches from my face was a beautiful hummingbird. It zoomed around my face, behind my head, over to some painted rocks, then quickly to the neighbors hummingbird feeder. Amazing a topic out of the air.


Let the journey begin. I have created my own Scoop.it!

You can check it out at http://www.scoop.it/t/hummingbirds-by-m-cosgrove-1

3 comments:

  1. I have to say I'd never heard of scoop.it before reading your blog. I can definitely see the usefulness for this type of technology. This would be beneficial when writing papers or researching information. I will have to experiment with this technology so I can begin incorporating it in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too never herd of Scoop.it before reading your post. From what you have described, I think scoop.it is going to be very helpful when doing a research or writing a paper.

    I would definitely try it this weekend and see if I can use it for school.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michell, I can see that you are trying to explore on new things you have never been before and its very interesting thing to hear from someone what she has discovered and learned from technological tools she is using. Keep it up. Aside from bookmarking, storage and resources, what other things you found out on that website? Also, how can you use this tool or technology in your future career and in your PLN?

    Honestly, I am also having fun in learning my tool, Dorpr, but I tried to connect every functionalities of that website to my goals, which I consider very useful. You can try it too and best of luck in exploring this website.

    ReplyDelete