Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Twitter-I Was A Skeptic

Prior to taking a course in Instructional Technology, I was a skeptic of using Twitter. I knew  little about this tool. I thought it was just another way young people were ranting about their lives. I signed up for an account at https://twitter.com, however, I never followed professionals. I had young relatives and acquaintances that I chose to follow. I had no idea it could be used for learning.

As I read Chapters 4 and 5 in "The New Social Learning", I couldn't believe the resources available at my finger tips. I watched the videos and read the tweets and I am in awe. I never looked at Twitter in this light before. I hadn't considered it a learning tool or a teaching tool.

Today, I read an informative tweet posted by Bradford R. Glaser-The Secret Formula to Becoming an E-Learning Pro . I was excited because it was exactly what I have been interested in learning more about. If you follow the tweet you will find the blog has an article, links, and videos to spark more interest. There are "challenges" listed on this blog to help you create better learning tools. The videos are informative, humorous and extremely helpful.

As I was finishing this blog, I decided to look at what Scoop.it! had tweeted, because it is my selected technology tool. To my surprise I found this tweet-10 Words to Cut From Your Writing . I decided to watch the video link. Guess what? I was using three of the top 10 words to cut. I reviewed my writing and realized I was using words that were useless and had little meaning. Thanks Twitter!

I am no longer a skeptic of Twitter. I thoroughly enjoy learning how to use it. I hope you follow these links and find something useful. Enjoy the learning journey!

2 comments:

  1. I was a skeptical about using Twitter for a PLN as well. I think it is because every time you turn around, some celebrity or other is advertising, "follow me on Twitter and you will know what I am up to every second of the day." I don't care what shenanigans celebrities are engaged in, and I couldn't care less what the Kardashians are up to!! But since looking into Twitter for this class, I do believe it will be useful to find information I didn't realize I was looking for.

    I followed your link for the 10 words to cut. I found that interesting as well. I use those words all the time. I guess I am going to have to work a little harder and learn to use stronger words to make my writing more powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased to hear of your journey with Twitter. It is a powerful learning tool as witnessed by the quality of the links you included in this blog post. I viewed the 10 words to eliminate in writing and immediately applied the suggestions as I edited my own writing. Tell me more how you will continue to use the technology tools in your life. I'd love to hear your ideas on this.

    ReplyDelete